Top sales CBD for dogs
What are the benefits of CBD for dogs?
CBD is extracted from the hemp plant, usually of the Cannabis L. Sativa or Cannabis Indica varieties. Often associated with other cannabinoids (CBG and CBN) in full or broad spectrum oils, the molecule shines with analgesic effects (against pain), anti-inflammatory properties but also (and above all) soothing and relaxing virtues. The absence (or near-zero level) of THC means that CBD products do not produce a psychotropic or high effect, whether intended for humans or pets.
By interacting with receptors in the dog's endocannabinoid system, CBD provides the following benefits:
- Promote healthy bone and cartilage function to keep your faithful companion fully mobile and prevent osteoarthritis;
- Supporting canine brain function;
- Relieve inflammation;
- Relieve pain, especially when associated with gastric problems;
- Reduce stress and anxiety levels to promote emotional balance in the dog;
- Improve the dog's sleep cycle by promoting rapid falling asleep and limiting REM sleep disorders;
- Strengthen the animal's immune defences.
A 2018 study (which you can read here) attempted to evaluate the interest of CBD products, in particular its anti-inflammatory effects and its pain-relieving properties, in dogs suffering from osteoarthritis. The researchers gave the dogs a dose of 2 mg of cannabidiol oil per kilogram of body weight. Result: 80% of dogs showed significant improvement in pain and mobility after treatment. The impact of cannabidiol on pain and mobility was measured by the Canine Pain Questionnaire (CBPI) as well as the Hudson Pain Scale.
Another 2019 study (which you can read here) found that dogs with Epilepsy patients who were given a few drops of CBD oil (in addition to antiepileptic drugs) had significantly fewer seizures than dogs who were given drugs and a placebo.
The use of CBD to improve the quality of life of dogs suffering from cancer seems to be democratizing. Indeed, CBD allows your dog to feel more peaceful in this difficult situation, helping him to better withstand the pain, stress and anxiety associated with the disease but also with the treatment which can be heavy. Again, your veterinarian can advise you on the value of CBD oil, especially if your dog has a low pain tolerance.
How to give CBD to your dog?
A 2018 study (available here) found CBD oils to be effective compared to cannabidiol creams, gels, and capsules in treating dogs with epilepsy and other neurological conditions. One can therefore extrapolate the effectiveness of CBD oils (compared to other cannabidiol products) for dogs suffering from stress and anxiety.
The least laborious way to give CBD to your dog is to put a few drops of cannabidiol oil in his food using a dropper, especially on his favorite treats to be sure that the animal will consume the entire product. Be sure to place the drops of CBD oil on the top of your dog's treats so the product doesn't seep down the base of the bowl.
Since dogs are generally less picky about their diet than cats, you can opt for a broad or full spectrum CBD oil to provide your pet with other healthy cannabinoids like CBG and CBN. If your dog is the finicky type and doesn't like his treats to smell like hemp, opt for a neutral CBD oil instead.
You can finally opt for a CBD oil for dogs that is applied topically, in the skin parts not covered with hair like the inside of the ear. This way of using CBD is more random.
CBD for dogs: what dosage for maximum benefits without side effects?
The optimal amount of CBD to give to a pet depends on several factors such as their weight, the receptivity of their endocannabinoid system to CBD and other cannabinoids, their state of health, etc. As with cats and humans, the best option is experimentation and trial and error, always starting with the lowest dose.
The study carried out on dogs suffering from osteoarthritis and joint pain (see above) showed that the optimal dose of cannabidiol was 2 mg per kilogram of body weight.
In any case, we advise you to start with the smallest dose, for example two drops of a 5% CBD oil per day, and to quantify the effects felt by taking note of the behavior of your pet. Do not hesitate to ask your veterinarian for advice.
Is CBD safe for dogs?
Absolutely, and your veterinarian can confirm that this natural molecule extracted from hemp is devoid of any harmful effects and does not present a risk of addiction… provided that the CBD product concerned complies with the regulations in force in France on the maximum level of THC (less than 0.3%). Cats and dogs are particularly receptive to the benefits of cannabidiol, especially in the form of oil that is mixed with treats (we talk about it below).
Once that's said, owners need to take some precautions so that CBD fully plays its role as a feel-good molecule and can bring all the benefits of hemp to their canine:
- As in humans, poorly controlled dosage (more drops of CBD oil than necessary) can cause a number of mild and transient side effects. These side effects will be all the more intense if your pet has not been introduced to CBD products and cannabinoids in the case of a full or broad spectrum CBD oil.
- Using CBD products that are illegal, adulterated, or from questionable manufacturers can cause serious side effects for two reasons: these products may contain high levels of THC (psychotropic effect), but also substances that are unknown and therefore potentially harmful to the health or even the life of the animal. All the CBD products for dogs, cats and humans that you will find in our online store are 100% traceable and comply with the regulations in force in France in terms of THC levels.
- Caution: storing CBD oil for dogs in a clear or transparent bottle will accelerate the product's degradation on contact with light.
- Each dog and each animal is unique, it is impossible to anticipate the sensitivity of its endocannabinoid system to the ingestion of products of CBD. This is why we advise you to start with a few drops of low dose cannabidiol oil to monitor the effects felt by your pet.
Only your veterinarian can decide on the benefits of CBD oil and other products containing cannabinoids for the health of your dog. Indeed, your veterinarian knows the profile of your canine as well as its possible health problems. He will advise you on the usefulness of CBD to improve your pet's sleep, help him relieve acute or chronic pain (osteoarthritis or gastric problems in particular) or even help him find serenity in the context of a treatment for stress and anxiety.
CBD for dogs: what side effects?
As a rule, side effects occur because of too high a CBD dosage. They are usually transient and not serious:
- Dry mouth. Too much CBD oil can decrease saliva production and cause abnormal thirst in your dog.
- Lower in blood pressure. Too much CBD oil can cause a temporary drop in blood pressure, with a brief feeling of lightheadedness in your pet.
- Drowsiness. The calming effect of CBD oil is beneficial in reducing stress and anxiety in cats and dogs, but an improper dosage can cause mild drowsiness, especially in cannabidiol oils derived from the plant. Cannabis Indica. The variety of cannabis is generally indicated on the bottle of the oil and on the product sheet.
Other less characteristic side effects can also be observed in dogs and cats that have received too high a dose of CBD oil: numbness, vomiting, tremors, irritability, fatigue, etc.
Is CBD for dogs legal in France?
Like all CBD and cannabinoid products, CBD products for cats, dogs and pets (oils, treats, creams, etc.) are governed by European decree n°639 – 2014. CBD products extracted from the hemp varieties Cannabis L. Sativa and Cannabis Indica for cats and dogs can be freely marketed in France, provided that their THC content is lower than 0.3%.
All the CBD products for cats, dogs and pets that we offer comply with the regulations in force in France. They come from the best producers in France, Switzerland and Italy. So you can pamper your pet with peace of mind.